Every night, as I’m laying down my baby girl, I kiss her head, say some prayers for her, and then say 14 prayers for my future son-in-law.
Why do I say prayers for my future son-in-law?
Sometimes it feels silly – praying for someone I have never met – praying for someone that might not even exist yet? Then I think to myself, “What if he doesn’t know Jesus? What if he isn’t in a home that knows and loves Jesus?” I pray for my future son-in-law so that he may get to experience the love of Jesus Christ and one day, when I meet him, I want to be able to tell him that I have been waiting to meet him – that I have prayed for him, specifically.
As a mother, I can only hope that as I am reading my baby her bedtime stories, singing to her, rocking her to sleep, praying for her, and praying for him – that someone is taking care of my future son-in-law and praying for my baby girl in return.
From the day my daughter was born, I have prayed for this baby boy that I have never met. He will become a young boy, then a young man, then a gentleman – all while I might not know his name or face; but I am eagerly praying for him and waiting to meet him.
Here are my 14 prayers for my future son-in-law:
You can read them quietly to yourself or you can talk to God – your choice.
- I pray that my future son-in-law is raised to know love and respect – not just how to give them, but how to receive them.
- I pray that he has at least one good role model in his life. Someone he can go to in confidence and rely on who will teach him, support him, and guide him.
- God, I pray that when life gets tough or he messes up – that he turns to You rather than run.
- I pray that every situation he goes through leads him to learn from it and become the best version of himself.
- I pray that my future son-in-law learns how to forgive – himself and others.
- Lord, I pray that he learns the importance of honesty and integrity.
- I pray that he be raised in an environment that fosters a relationship with Jesus Christ that will one day shape the relationship that he will teach my future grandchildren to have.
- I pray that if his family doesn’t know You, that he finds his way into a relationship with You, God.
- God, I pray that he is able to give all of himself to her and that he expects the same in return. I don’t want him to be afraid if he falls short; we are all sinners by nature. The important thing is that he learns how to ask for forgiveness and forgive himself.
- I pray that my future son-in-law never has to learn what heartbreak is.
- I pray that the relationships leading up to my daughter aren’t ones that leave a lasting scar.
- God, I pray that through those relationships he remains pure in mind, heart, body, and soul. If they don’t, I pray that he knows the importance of honesty and repentance.
- I pray that he and my daughter find each other in the most unexpected places because that is the best kind of love – the one you weren’t looking for.
- Most importantly – I pray that my future son-in-law loves my daughter unconditionally and treats her as best he knows how. That they keep God in the center of their relationship because He will keep them grounded and true.
Dear future son-in-law,
Every night I pray for you and I can’t wait to meet you. The best part is that I won’t know it’s you until I’ve known you for long enough. I want you to know that while you might be the man of her childhood dreams, you are also the man of this mama’s answered prayers. No matter where life takes you, I pray you know the love of Jesus Christ and follow Him.
Is there anyone that you pray for even though you don’t know them? Did you not see something you were hoping for? Let me know in the comments!